When the wheels are optimally inflated, the low tire pressure indicator (TPMS) does not light up on the vehicle dashboard. However, in some cases it lights up, even if the pressure is normal. This cannot but annoy, especially when the rubber is pumped up normally. In our article today, we will figure out how to relieve a tire pressure error.
Why do I need a tire pressure sensor
American and European scientists conducted a study in which it was found that most drivers do not check if the wheels are properly pumped before driving. Only 40% of car owners perform this test - and even then only once every 12 months. This causes a large number of accidents.
The TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system) is designed to monitor tire pressure and also to warn of a malfunction. If the tires are underloaded or pumped over, an error will appear on the remote control or a sound signal will appear. You can check this site for further information.
What is the danger of too high or, conversely, low pressure? The risk of an accident increases, the car begins to consume more fuel, in addition, the rubber wears out faster
The above devices operate on a single principle. We will figure out how the information on what tire pressure gets to the control panel.
- Each wheel is equipped with a controller . It captures tire pressure data.
- Information is transmitted from the sensor to the transceiver with a frequency of 2-3 seconds . The controller transmits data using Bluetooth.
- The program analyzes the received data, which should correspond to normal values . Otherwise, when the tires should be lowered a little, the program gives a signal to the car owner. In exactly the same way, a signal is transmitted if the rubber needs to be pumped.
- Depending on the device, error signals are sound as well as light .
- The driver can set the boundary of the values of the operating parameters . By default, the automaker makes it possible to adjust the device from 1.7–3.2 bar.
- On some models, TPMS auto transmits data to your phone
Consider how pressure is calculated by measuring instruments. Typically, the sensor compares the wheel angular rotation. Knowing the value of this parameter, you can calculate the distance that the wheel will travel, having made one rotation. Obviously, if the tires are underloaded or pumped over, the outer diameter of the wheel will be different. Visually, a person cannot determine this change. But the sensor even notices such changes. The system fixes the discrepancy with the required parameters..
Reasons for triggering the tire pressure sensor
The sensor will still react, despite the fact that the wheel circumference has changed quite a bit. In this situation, it is necessary to find out what mechanical reason led to this. Only in this way can you eliminate the incorrect interpretation of signals transmitted by the system. This can happen because:
- rubber is not inflated enough;
- You have installed another wheel whose shape, dimensions and tread are different;
- “reserve” was set, in terms of parameters it also differs from other wheels;
- a puncture or rupture of the rubber occurred;
- there is an uneven load on the car, as a result, the car is skewed to one side;
- You have installed anti-skid chains on the wheels;
- overload of one of the axes occurred; this happens when you drive a car uphill or go down a hill, carry a trailer in tow.
Also, the TPMS system gives an error when you installed new wheels or rearranged them.
When after these actions a tire pressure error appeared, indicating an unbalance, you should reset the settings, and then set the basic parameters. In this case, the control signal may remain even if basic settings have been selected.